Pages - Menu

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Balaw Balaw Restaurant and Art Gallery

"Something different, something new, life has a new meaning when I found you"

Its been a while since my last food trip. My partner in crime (my sister) was not available last couple of months and I undergone what people call "diet" lol; but as they say, if a door closes, God always open a window. So last Saturday, I got two heaven-sent guys who brought me to Balaw Balaw for a late lunch after our badminton game. 

Located at 16 Doña Justa Subd. Manila east highway Angono, Rizal. The restaurant is open 10am until 10pm from Mondays to Sundays. 




We came at 2 pm, which was way past lunch time. We asked the waiter for any available exotic dishes, sad to say only Uok and Hantik are available. I'm adventurous but not this time that I'm so tired from playing badminton and hungry. Still the waiter provided us the leisure to see one of their dishes -- alive! haha 

He presented us... Uok --  Wood boring grubs seen inside a coconut tree. Those little wormies will be pan fried with soy sauce, vinegar and chiles. I'm so tempted to order it but since I'll be the only one who will eat it (the guys decided to back off) I refused to order it since I know I wont be able to finish it.




On the other hand, the hantik are big ants (better not to see them alive!) steamed and stir fried to perfection -- thanks to Best Men clip of GMA News TV (was able to watched how it was cooked) 

Since those are the only two available (rose petal salad and nilasing na palaka was out of stock) We decided to pick the unusual that we can get. 



While we are waiting for our orders, I took the spare time to view and appreciate the interiors of the whole place. Angono is known for Higantes Festival - also called feast of San Clemente celebrated every 23rd of November. 




Different masks are hanging in the area, Spanish artifacts, images of Nazareno and wood carvings of Sto. Niño are also sighted. 








Thanks to my beloved TL, badminton coach, my everyday dose of sunshine (cause he always makes me laugh) I was able to get a bit of photography lessons from him - lessons for my iphone hahaha!

Well in the end, I asked Tony to do the honor of being my food photographer for the day. So as soon as our food arrived they asked me to wash my hands at the "tapayan" located at the back of the dining hall. 


Amazing! So as I have mentioned, we tried choosing the unusual food to eat. Unusual in such a way its not your everyday "adobo-menudo-sinigang" diet kind of thing. 

First up, Dinilawang Palos (Eel Cooked in yellow ginger or turmeric and fragrant alagaw leaves) 320php



The turmeric flavor is really distinct in this dish. It has a tinge of bitterness from the alagaw leaves but not overpowering the taste of the fish. 

Then, we are served with Balaw Balaw Rice (Fried Rice mixed with seafood and chorizo de Bilbao) 240php


It looks like arroz valenciana without the sticky rice. Every grain was full of flavor; not so sweet nor salty. Something to look forward for another round :) 

For the veggies, Tony chose to add Ensaladang Talong (boiled eggplant drenched in coconut milk, vinegar and garlic) 85php


I must say this is not your usual ensalada. The coconut milk gave this dish a new personality. So love the idea of adding coconut milk to a sweet - bland vegetable. Two thumbs up.

And last but not the least is the dish of the day: Ginataang Kuhol (freshwater snails cooked in coconut milk) 140php


The snails rock! It is creamy, full of flavor and something you will ask for more. I was little bit ashamed of myself cause the two guys only got their plates half filled with shells but mine was overflowing with shells hahaha! 

To wash off all of the food, we ordered Gayuma (coconut meat with pandan juice and grenadine syrup) 65php 



At first the waiter didn't want to serve us the drink because the coconut meat is too soft and there will be no texture (meaning its not on their standards) but because of my convincing power -- haha! They decided to serve it to us.

Its true to its name gayuma cause I started to love it so much. I also got an idea of recreating it and adding vodka on the drink -- well hope my tummy wont get angry if I do that -- lol. 

It was indeed a new experience with new food buddies. Thanks to Daddy Dee and Tony for keeping me company and making this food trip worthwhile. 



Wanna take the challenge? Food adventure awaits you at Balaw Balaw

BALAW BALAW
Specialty Restaurant Folk Food, Folk Art
16 Doña Justa Subd. Ph. I Angono, Rizal, Philippines 1930
Tel. 651-0110 
Mobile # 09237144209
E-mail:balaw2x@yahoo.com



2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, I want to try this before I go back overseas, so Tony plays badminton too?

    Let's play sometime and do some food trip after hehe:-)

    ReplyDelete